There is a wide range of adoption plans available, from closed adoptions to very open adoptions. Find out as much as possible about adoption so you can make an informed decision.
Adoption offers the following benefits:
- You can choose the adoptive family and control many details affecting the future of your child.
- You can determine the nature of your relationship with your child and the adoptive family.
- Adoptive parents are in a position to explain details of the adoption to the child at each stage of his/her development to help the child become a well-adjusted, successful person.
- At any point in the adoption process, you can decide to keep the child. Every state has different rules for adoption, but in most cases, adoptions are considered final when the child is six months old.
- Counseling, support groups, and other services enable affected individuals to work through the grieving process, sense of loss and other challenges that may develop.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What would be an ideal home for my child?
- What do I want to provide for my child?
- Is there anyone who has placed for adoption that I can contact?
- Have I called a pregnancy specialist by calling toll-free 1-800-672-2296 to learn about adoption and counseling services in my area?