Become a Parent
Being a parent is both challenging and rewarding. It is fascinating to observe and experience another life growing inside of you, gradually developing into a person with a unique personality, interests, and talents. As you learn how to love, guide, encourage and provide for this extension of yourself, keep in mind that one of your most essential needs as a parent is supporting.
In clarifying your situation and gaining perspective, ask yourself the following questions:
- If you are single, is marrying the father a possibility? Why or why not? Would the father consider pre-marital counseling? What type of support (financial, role model, childcare, etc.) is the father of the baby able to provide?
- Can family members help financially, with childcare or living arrangements, etc.?
- Could I live with family members or with another single mother?
- How could I share household responsibilities with those I live with?
- What would it take to live on my own with my baby?
- How can I attain my long term goals in order to make a better life for myself and my child?
- Would I consider applying for WIC, Medicaid, and/or other government assistance programs?
If you're unexpectedly pregnant, the Alpha Omega Care Center can help. We provide several resources for new or expecting parents who wish to parent well. These include education and material assistance, including diapers, maternity and baby clothes, and toys, books, and equipment. Please call 517-437-7020 for an appointment to discuss your options.